Piensa local, Actúa global. Conozca Más

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The One With The Wedding in the United States of AMERICA :)

Greetings friends! I am finally here to post an update about my trip home a few weeks ago! I was home for two weeks in mid-August for my sister’s wedding- It was a lovely trip, a beautiful wedding, and a perfect way to re-charge my batteries for the next year. When I got back to Honduras, I jumped right back into work so I haven’t had much time to gather my thoughts since then!

Anyways… I arrived in my beloved Boston late in the afternoon and was greeted by Mom, G, and Dad with a “Merry Christmas Lisa!” sign he made. In my family, whenever something good happens, we say it’s like Christmas. I got home to find the Christmas tree up in the living room. A perfect start to a whirlwind trip home!

My landlady sent tortillas home with me so everyone could try them…. They were… uh…. A hit! Eh…..

Gina’s wedding was beautiful! Everything went smoothly, I got through my maid of honor speech, there was a tribute Chicken Dance in Uncle Fishy’s memory, and everyone had an awesome time.

I was able to see my best friends, karaoke with my family, go to a Red Sox game, go to the beach, get interviewed with my cousin for our local paper, eat eat eat, chat with my 96 year old Nana who hung in there so I could see her again (we thought when I left for Peace Corps that that would be the last time, but she’s still with us!), interview for a graduate program….. I couldn’t have asked for a better two weeks! Thank you to everyone who made an effort to see me!

Before my trip home I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel coming back to Honduras for another year…. I thought maybe it would be hard and that I’d feel like a year was going to be an eternity…. It’s been a hard year for me to be away, with a sudden family loss, missing out on planning my sister’s wedding with her, and a Grandmother on borrowed time. Bad timing to be out-of-country for two years. But being home made me realize that I am exactly where I need to be right now. Life happens and you can’t stop it. You can’t plan your life around other people’s schedules because then you’d never accomplish anything. My service is half over, and I trust that this second half will go much faster than the first. I am happy with my work, and it will be invaluable experience for the next phase of my life.

Since I got back I’ve been busy finishing up projects and starting new ones…. It looks like I’m booked right through Christmas! My teachers are about to graduate and then we will continue with the second level of the class. In a few weeks I am starting a Yo Merezco class with the girls from the church group, and my site-mate and I will start the same class with our girls group soon too…. And then of course, my IHNFA kids!

Here is the link to the article about my cousin Michelle doing her Girl Scout project for Honduran children! She's been collecting art supplies to send down!
http://www.wickedlocal.com/natick/features/x678155841/Lisa-Lavezzo-s-Peace-Corps-work-inspires-her-young-cousin#axzz1XKRqeDuf

1 comment:

  1. I am so so so so so happy that you had a great trip home!! My wedding was so much fun, and even though you helped plan from far away, everything worked out wonderfully!

    Enjoy being back in Honduras. Birthday's coming up too!

    Besos.

    Gina Caulfield!

    ReplyDelete