Piensa local, Actúa global. Conozca Más

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy (ALMOST) Birthday, Estados Unidos!

In all the research I did on Peace Corps before/during the application process, every source said that volunteers had a lot of down time, and though you could still be a productive volunteer, people seem to pick up new hobbies (that don’t require electricity) and read a lot of books. Since getting to site last September, I have read ONE book (in it's entirety) for pleasure, and the only hobbies I’ve pursued have been learning how to exercise inside (to avoid cat calls) and how to talk back to crude comments in Spanish (not aggressively, just sassy!). A lot of days, I don’t get back to my apartment until 6 or 7 at night, and I am so exhausted mentally and physically (mentally from speaking a different language all day, physically from the heat) that I just… zone out…. or continue to prepare materials for the following day. I usually don’t feel like reading or cooking or knitting or anything else because my brain is neither functioning in English nor in Spanish… If I don’t have anything left to do work-wise, I may (but usually opt to not) attempt to “cook” something, plop down in my hammock and get lost in a Friends DVD.

I am pleasantly surprised at how much work I actually have! I mean… I knew I would be working, but in a lot of countries where Peace Corps goes, things are more laid back, and everything takes eight times as long to accomplish.... Honduras included! A lot of it, I'm sure, comes from self-motivation and an inner need to be productive, but I also have to credit my *awesome* project team for matching me so well to my site... I was horrified at first because I wanted to go to a smaller site but the organizations I was assigned to are perfect for me. It's not always easy, but I've learned that not EVERY project is going to be sustainable, and that's ok. I will do what I can while I'm here, to the best of my ability, and hope for the best. I have also finally grown into my town! It’s still “big” but after a year, I’ve made my mark, thrown a few sparkles around, and now I can’t go anywhere without seeing friendly, familiar faces.


And, I know it’s a few days early, but I will be away that day, so… HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!! My nails are red and blue (and have been for over a week), I did a festive/patriotic project with my kiddies today, taught them about my country and compared our flags, and will be celebrating in true American fashion with some fellow volunteers this weekend.

Live Like a PCV Challenge!!!
Some of you may have gotten an email about this, but I wanted to share this link on my blog too- it’s a challenge, to live like a Peace Corps Volunteer for a week! If you’re up for it, check out the website, and click “Honduras” to see the country-specific rules! It’s spot on, with what you have to give up….!
http://www.livelikeapcv.org/p/challenge.html

Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th! :)
Love, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment