Piensa local, Actúa global. Conozca Más

Monday, May 9, 2011

The one where I make a cheesy video...

I finally put some of my favorite pictures together to make a video! These are the kids I work with at IHNFA…. Sorry it’s super cheesy, but, what are you gonna do! Also, I think it can only be viewed in the US (sorry everyone in Honduras!)... there was some technical glitch that I think came about from a questionable audio source... I haven't quite gotten to the bottom of it yet!





To elaborate a bit more on IHNFA (Instituto Hondureno de la Ninez y la Familia), it is a government “funded” organization catering to families living in extreme poverty, and families with working mothers. Kids between the ages of 1 and 7 come and get three meals a day. There aren’t too many centers, but they are sprinkled around the country, mostly in the bigger cities. The idea, in essence, is brilliant, right? Well… it’s not quite as simple, as the “funding” for IHNFA (at least the one I work at) is minimal, barely enough to maintain the building.

At my IHNFA, since my arrival, I have been trying to involve the staff in programs that hopefully they will continue after I complete my service. We’ve done/are currently doing Colgate (dental hygiene class), story hour, Yo Se Leer (early literacy tutoring), classroom management techniques, arts/crafts, and various other less formal recreational/educational activities.

It’s been a really hard placement, and I find myself constantly re-explaining my role and reminding the staff that we need to work together to make things sustainable. But, I also feel that I’ve made great strides in this since September. And in the end, even if my co-workers don’t end up following through the way I’d like them to, that’s the beauty of the Youth Development project: We work directly with the kids too! So… regardless of project sustainability, if one child remembers one thing I’ve taught them, and applies it to his/her future, I’ve had success as a volunteer.


Another perk of getting to work WITH them directly is that I have been able to see them all progress in the 9 months that I've been here, as far as being able to hold a pencil correctly, knowing what to do with a crayon, asking questions about a story we are reading rather than looking like a deer in headlights, discovering sparkles! I am so proud of them!

I love all of the IHNFA kids dearly… the majority of the kids come from houses with no/minimal walls, sleep on the floor, or (better? worse?) in the same bed as their mother and 3-4 siblings, aren’t kept clean, and are more or less neglected at home. This leads to either overly aggressive or extremely timid behaviors, although I have seen a lot of progress in the kids that come regularly, at least the timid ones.,,. Though this is the majority, there are kids who come because their mothers go to work. It’s wonderful to see these moms come to pick up their children after work and take them home…. The other side is heartbreaking, seeing the kids leaving by themselves after the last meal is served, to walk alone to wherever it is that they live. Everyday, one 5 year old boy walks to and from IHNFA, holding his one year old brother’s hand (at the end of the day he sometimes carries his little brother because he's half-asleep)…. He and his brother aren’t enrolled because their mom works…. They are enrolled because they live in poverty… So where is mom? dad?


2 comments:

  1. That's a sad story Lee...They are fortunate to have you, and your loving heart!
    Dad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the screaming goat got into your video!

    ReplyDelete