Piensa local, Actúa global. Conozca Más

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The One with the Honduran Christmas Donkey!

Well, I am back in site after my 6 week medical evacuation in DC! But only for about a week and a half before my trip home for Christmas (weird timing, I know). I was given a warm welcome back to Honduras at the Peace Corps office then I set out on my 7/8 hour journey “home.” Since being back in Gracias, I have received three phone calls from people I spoke with in Washington, and from my Country Director, just checking in and making sure I made it back safely- how thoughtful! I am really happy about the way Peace Corps handled my med-evac, and appreciate all their support so much. Thanks, Peace Corps! You rock!


One thing that really moved me while I was traveling back to my site was I on one of my buses, and there must have been about ten women from a church group traveling together. In the middle of a trip they break out into song, and sing about God for about an hour. I told them as they got off how lovely it was to hear them sing…. In a country where you are at risk the majority of the time, it’s no wonder religion is so entrenched into daily life- it’s something to believe in, and it’s what keeps a lot of people going. I have always thought of myself as religious (not quoting the bible religious, but praying to God religious) but I fail in comparison! Every bus, moto-taxi, store, house, etc. is lined with images of Saints, Jesus, Mary… you pray at school, and at every public event whenever someone speaks, they thank God. At first I was overwhelmed by the lack of separation of church and state, but after being here a year and a half, I finally understand it.


Anyways… since I am back for just a brief period of time, what better way to spend it than doing fun Christmas activities with my little nuggets! Songs…glitter…glue… living the dream down here! I created a Spanish version of Dominic the Donkey, they LOVE it! The he-haw’s are getting better every day!

The volunteer community is anxiously awaiting important information about upcoming changes to increase volunteer safety and security in Honduras. There was an unfortunate incident last week, and it’s put us all a bit on edge. Our Country Director is at a meeting this week about this very topic, and we should be getting an update within the next few days. This is not the safest country in the world, in fact, it is one of the most dangerous… highest homicide rate in the world, but it is also the second poorest next to Haiti in the western hemisphere… They want Peace Corps here and we want to be here, but we need to be safe in order to do our jobs, so we will see what’s to come!

2 comments:

  1. The crafts looks so cute! Keep up the christmas spirit down there! See you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never want to see/hear another Christmas Donkey ever.

    ReplyDelete